Post image for San Francisco Twitter accounts to follow for news, events, alerts, and more

San Francisco Twitter accounts to follow for news, events, alerts, and more

by David Spark on July 5, 2009

San Francisco as you probably know is often on the cutting edge of Web 2.0 technologies being that we give birth to so many popular ones, such as Twitter. Luckily, our community has seen the advantage as well and many major outlets are taking advantage of Twitter. I’ve seen tons of different San Francisco-specific Twitter accounts offering up a bevy of great information. So I spent some time aggregating what I could find, but I know there’s no way I could find everything. So if you find another really good account, let me know by leaving a comment.

NOTE: My criteria for including a feed is number one if it actually provided valuable information specific to the San Francisco community.

Take a look at the list. All provided valuable San Francisco information as do I (sometimes) at @dspark.

News
@abc7NewsBayArea, @Kron4News, @SFChron_Alert@Green960, @SFist, @KTVU, @SF_Weekly, @SFBG, @KCBS_Morning, @KRON4News, @KCBSNews, @KGORadio, @ActionNewsSF, @NBCBayArea, @SFBusinessTimes (SF business news), @SFCityInsider@ThePublicPress (non-profit and non-commercial), @ucsfnews (health news from UCSF)

News outside of SF, but in Bay Area
@MercuryNews, @Oakland_News, @InsideBayArea

Extremely local news
@94110Now (Mission and Castro district) @NoeValleySF, @CurbedSF (real estate news)

News aggregators
@BreakingSFNews, @CaliforniaBeat, @SanFranNews, @SFnews, @topix_sf, @TheSFNews, @SFTips, @SFMetBlogs

Alerts
@sf311 (Access San Francisco’s 311 services through this account), @SanFran_Weather , @CAQuake, @Emergency_In_SF, @sanfranfeed

Transit
@realBARTworkers, @streetblogSF (Street level news alerts, with a lot covering local transit), @SF_Flyer (Alerts on cheap flights out of SF), @MuniDiaries, @SFMuniRy, @Caltrain, @SFBART, @NJudah, @BayBridgeInfo

Events/Entertainment
@GoldenGatePark (Events going on at Golden Gate Park), @7x7Magazine, @Lovings (SF escorts), @BayAreaCheap, @BayAreaTreks, @FamilyEvents_SF, @BayAreaGetaways, @TheFillmore_SF, @SFhappenings, @IgnighterSF (group dating for Gen Y community), @SFupDates, @AmoebaMusic, @FillmoreSF, @Flavorpill_SF, @CitysearchSF, @freesanfran, @SFshows, @EventSanFran, @SFparty, @MyOpenBar_SF (alerts you about open bar events in San Francisco), @SF_FilmSociety, @SanFranMag, @sfstation, @106KMEL, @LIVE105, @SFStandUp (news on the SF stand up comedy scene), @SFZoo, @GoldstarSF, @CheapandEasySF, @GhiradelliSQ, @SFBravoClub

Food
@bayareabites, @SFoodie, @crembruleecart (Food cart that roves in SF. Where’s the next location?), @SanFranPicks (restaurants recommended by Twitter users. See site which follows trends and lets you filter by district or category)

Sports
@SFGiants_News, @CSNBayArea, @OaklandAs, @NinersNation

Government
@SFgov, @sfprotest (SF protest news), @Schwarzenegger, @GavinNewsom, California State Association of Counties

Religious Groups
Jewish: @JewishBayArea, @sfJbay, @JewishSF (News from the J magazine)
NOTE: I’m having a difficult time finding other San Francisco religious groups on Twitter. If you can recommend any, please let me know.

Miscellaneous
San Francisco weather, @GrouponSF (One coupon every day for SF that you can purchase for deep discounts), @happn_in_sfbay (tracks Twitter trends only in San Francisco), @coffeetalksf (let everyone know what coffeehouse you’re hanging out at). And here’s the Cournal feed of people twittering about San Francisco.

As a reminder, if you have any more recommendations for San Francisco-specific Twitter accounts to follow, let me know.

In other news, since I’m such a big San Francisco fan, I sometimes give walking tours of the city through my friend’s business FOOT! Tours. These are comedian-led walking tours. I’m a former stand up comic myself. My specific tour is entitled, “Nude, Lewd, and Crude: The Rise of Strippers, Beats, and Comedians in North Beach from the 1950s to 1970s.” If you’re interested in taking my tour or any others, contact FOOT! Tours through their site.

Photo credit: Creative Commons Darwin Bell.

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

chad July 21, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for including us!

Suzanne Yada September 6, 2009 at 3:01 am

Hi, would you mind also including @ThePublicPress in your news updates? We’re a nonprofit independent news organization, and we’ve already begun breaking some big news out of City Hall.

Jason October 13, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Hi, would you please include @coffeetalksf

It’s a constant feed to the website http://coffee.gabandgo.com/sanfrancisco where people post there location at coffee shops around the city where they are looking for good conversation! Thank you!

David Spark October 13, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Jason, that’s a very cool site but you definitely don’t have all the coffeehouses in San Francisco. But I’m sure you’ll get them on there. Once you do it’ll be a great service. Thanks for providing.

Jason October 14, 2009 at 3:17 pm

David, thanks for the shout out on the site! One of the great things about San Francisco is all the coffeehouses – also one of the tough things for the site! Feel free to add any of your favorites, or send them along to me and I can add them for you!

jeremyrandall October 31, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Dave, could you add this page to your “Top Articles” list or make a link on your sidebar? It was hard to find this from the home page and I ended up Googling for it instead!

David Spark November 1, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the tip Jeremy. I’ve updated the site with hot stories links.

Marianne Jahv January 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

Thank you for letting me out of the closet! I saw that one of the mobile home companies lets you know of any delays on Twitter which, I hate to admit it, seems to have a point.

Marianne Jahv January 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm

kimbb April 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Please also add the SFKids.org twitter page:

twitter.com/sfkids

for kids/family-friendly activies and resources

kimbb April 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Please also add the SFKids.org twitter page:

twitter.com/sfkids

for kids/family-friendly activies and resources

RTSanFran April 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Great site, thanks!! I'm always looking for more SF based community groups…so, suggestion: how about nonprofits & other community based orgs? i work for RTSanFran (shameless plug, admittedly not the most exciting) but all the museums (@MoADsf @deyoungmuseum @asianartmuseum ) are on twitter, plus my fave are: @calacademy @sfpt_org @cwclub @UrbanSprouts @exploratorium @ybca @SPUR_Urbanist @somarts just to name a few…

cheers!

RTSanFran April 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm

cheers!

san francisco seo May 5, 2010 at 10:53 am

Great!.. Now I am updated to the news and even events in San Francisco. Thanks.. I will follow your twitter account now..

san francisco seo May 5, 2010 at 10:53 am

nike dunk June 25, 2010 at 5:59 am

Very vivid appearance, perfect plot, challenging game. Many of us put this game as a very important part of life. Surprise,when I browse the web ,I found these website Pretty good.tonesite.net

Barbara French August 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Follow UCSF and news in biomedical research and care at ucsfnews

Madcow180 June 9, 2011 at 3:42 am

looking  for fun and good places to eat on a budget in the japan town and fillmore street area what you got

Madcow180 June 9, 2011 at 3:54 am

hi this is toy aka madcow have you ben in the city long and can you recomend some good restrants that are not on all the normal lists thanks

Boris November 9, 2011 at 11:20 pm

This is an awesome list. thanks :D

moncler jassen 2011 November 15, 2011 at 8:57 am

Good writing, I wished to thank you for this fascinating . I have
bookmarked your web-site to validate out the newest stuff you post.

Kira February 18, 2017 at 11:51 am

And these stores have the ability to provde the rings at the best price because of the low
overheads. Never pick the ring within your choice ass it’s quite obvious she would possibly not just like your choice.
White gold is regarded as tthe popular one as well as the yellow gold. http://remingtonviwj692blog.blog2learn.com