“With Craigslist there is no need for pimps,” said a 35 year old sex worker in San Francisco.
Chicago Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart agrees with her and is accusing Craigslist as being one of the largest sources of prostitution in the country. His office claims that Craigslist’s erotic section is making it easier for pimps and prostitutes to market themselves and evade the police.
First Craigslist takes all the classified dollars from local newspapers, and now they’re taking hookers and pimps from our red light district. Is there no end to the menace of Craigslist?
Honestly, I don’t know what Chicago’s Dart is complaining about. There’s lots of evidence of Craigslist actually helping law enforcement catch criminals and I can’t think of an easier way to catch them than through a computer. They’re posting up there, just create a fake profile connect, and arrest them – prostitutes, pimps, or Johns.
Check out CNET’s long history covering this story.
- Sites, tools, and tips for saving money
- Auctioning off virginity on the Internet. How did sex become the one skill for which no experience is highly valued?
- Where do the SF digerati hang out?
- Spark Minutes on the air for the week of 1/19/09
- Best online transit maps and tools for the San Francisco Bay Area commuter